August-2018 to 2019
Braes Storehouse was set up in August 2018. In the first year of operation we:-
- Provided large bags of food for 48 households across the Braes area, from Whitecross to Slamannan and everywhere in between. 5 of these were emergency weekend bags and 43 families received the 6-12 week food parcel option.
- Packed and delivered 884 large food bags and 107 toiletries / household bags.
- Supported 70 adults and 68 children.
- Our first Holiday Hunger Summer Project worked with 3 local primary schools to tackle holiday hunger throughout the summer holidays. This provided 262 large bags of food to 13 of the most vulnerable families identified by these schools.
Referrals came from: –
- Social Work x 10
- Citizens Advice Bureau x 6
- Job Centre x 8
- Local Schools x 10
- GPs x 1
- Health Visitors x 5
- Churches x 3
- Outreach Workers x 3
- Local Councillors x 2
We had several phone calls from clients informing us that they no longer require support from the food bank as their referrers have helped them sort out their finances / benefit. These are our success stories!
Pupils and teachers from 7 local primary schools and from the Braes High School visited the food bank both to bring donations and for educational purposes.
We held our first Community Outreach Session with the help of CVS Falkirk at the end of February. This allowed users of our food bank, and others within the Braes area, the opportunity to meet with experts from the Department of Work and Pensions, Citizens Advice Bureau, NHS professionals, Credit Union, etc, who provided both financial and health advice.